Love Nonno's Recipes?
Now you can have the recipe to make at home!
6 full bunches of Fresh Basil
3 tablespoons of Pine Nuts
2 cloves of Garlic
1 tablespoon of Butter
1/2 cup Grated Parmigiano Cheese
1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
4 Tablespoons Sea Salt
1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Pick only the leaves off the stems of the basil.
Toasting the Pine Nuts
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a bowl add the pine nuts.
3. Drizzle a very small amount of olive oil on the pine nuts and mix well to coat.
4. Place on a baking pan with parchment paper or non stick pad.
5. Bake for 10 minutes and mix the pine nuts with a spatula. (you want to continue to bake until the pine nuts are golden brown)
6. Let Cool.
Making The Pesto
1. In a blender add the garlic, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, butter, and pine nuts.
2. Add a little extra virgin olive oil to blender.
3. On low blend the ingredients into a paste (add more oil if needed to get consistency)
4. A few leaves at a time at the basil and let blend in.
5. When all the basil is added adjust consistency to your desired preference.
If you want a pesto for a sauce to use with pasta adding more extra virgin olive oil will give it the desired consistency to even coat the pasta.
If you want it more of spread or bread dip you may not want to add anymore oil.
NOTE: PINE NUTS DO NOT HAVE TO BE USED FOR THE RECIPE. ALMONDS, CASHEWS, PISTACHIOS, MACADAMIA NUTS ARE FANTASTIC SUBSTITUTES.
Don't fill like cooking yourself? As always, you can come in and let us do the cooking for you!